Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Did anyone learn anything from that activity?

I'm at home laughing at myself - what a whirwind intro to alternative assessment practices (I really just didn't want the cookies to go bad for Tuesday's class). So here is an example of alternative assessment:
What did you learn from that activity? (I'm meaning about assessment but you can include what you might have learned about how to run an activity in class if you so choose). Did I make any sense? What did you take away from that lesson and what questions do you still have regarding assessment (asking for questions tells you where students are in the process).
PS I will also give you a shortened version of the powerpoint on Tuesday!

3 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I like the idea of portfolios, especially for a language arts class. I would like to learn more about them and how to use them. I am excited about getting away from more traditional methods of assessment which are often based around competition. (even though I do see the value of competition in some regards as it pushes individuals to excel).
I'm still curious about more ways to use self-assessment as I think it can be very valuable in promoting real learning. I think these kinds of things promote a deconstruction of ourselves so that we can realize our strengths, weaknesses, origins, etc.

6:16 PM

 
Blogger Alan said...

I very much agree with Anna. I really have no idea what portfolios are and how they may fit in a math or physics class but I am wide open to suggestions as I have had bad experiences regarding traditional assessments. I get exam anxiety to the point where I totally blank out. I once taught a girl how to do Frobeniusin differential equations just an hour before finals and then totally forgot how to do them myself when it came time to write the exam.
As far as the cookies go I thought the whole thing was great. I thought I knew cookies and what made a greaty chocolate chip cookie. I thought this is too easy to rate them. And then you brought in some cookies to rate and they were totally different from the ones I would have liked to rate. Still they hit the spot and I thank you for that.

9:01 PM

 
Blogger Vanessa said...

I really enjoyed this activity and found it to be helpful in actively engaging with a tool that I could certainly use within my classroom and in my suject area. I can understand where both Alan and Anna are coming from with their comments and concerns. I'm not sure how this method would be or could be used in any math or physics context...I would imagine, as you suggested Anna, that in your methods class they will give you some alternative ways to teach, but would it really be practical? I think that there are some subjects that this type of approach would not be quite as useful...Saying that however, i'm certain that you may have to engage in a history or biology class throught the TOC experience This may call for a bit of divergence from what you're used to. Maybe even a bit of this stuff will prepare you for a class that you are thrown into without warning...

10:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home