Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Friday, August 04, 2006

Discussion results

I realized in the discussion just how easy it is, as Leanna said, to go into a discussion with a "truth:" I picked my topic because it is something I have a strong opinion on, and it is easy to try and pass on that opinion rather than let the students develop their own opinion. Thanks to some good feedback, I was able to realize that as information was presented that began to contradict my ideas/opinion, I was quick to jump in with more information and ideas to try and move the discussion more in my direction, or try and move things along. I wasn't even doing it consciously; I just reacted in the moment, and it was only in retrospect that I was able to see what I was doing.

It just highlighted for me that in discussion, it's important that we present information (from different viewpoints if possible) and don't reveal our biases or opinions; and as much as possible let the students develop their own ideas. Then maybe at the end, if there is a strong message that is necessary to pass on, try and incorporate it into the wrap up - but on questions where there is no clear or "right" answer (just listening to the topics brought up, that seemed to often be the case) to let the students process the info and discussion points, talk about it later with friends/family, look up info if they're motivated/interested, and formulate their own opinions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leah said...

I try not to bring my own bias into discussions such as these, and I think sometimes I try too hard. Thanks for your comment, Rob - I hadn't thought about the teacher's role in that way. It is definitely important to show our students that we are real people and as such, have our own opinions. If we didn't, we'd be very uninteresting. However, I do think there is a danger in supressing other perspectives that may want to be shared within the classroom by our students.
Basically I just want to say that I agree with what Mark and Rob have already said and said well.

4:05 PM

 
Blogger Liane said...

Hey class! Hope you all had a nice weekend, I know I sure did! As for the discussions on Friday, I really enjoyed the exercise. Not only did we get to discuss some really good topics but it was valuable to examine the discussion and group structure. I was hesitant to facilitate the discussion, wondering about the need for structure and rules. I decided against it and then later realized how important it is. We had some heated discussions, which can be great, IF everyone gets a say and everyone gets heard! I definately learnt some valuables to take to my classrooom! See ya tomorrow!

10:02 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home