Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

I got an A !?!

I know that this is unrelated to this course but I think it's a good learning experience that maybe we can talk about. In our Sociology class I got an A on my cultural biography and I am disappointed. I am not usually the type to complain about marks but I just don't see the worth in the the assignment and being graded on it was very difficult. I think I deserve 100% because whose to say that one's autobiography is better then another and I feel like my story is a 100%.

What do you think? I understand the value of Authentic assessment alittle better now after this experience and I want to make sure that as a teacher I try really hard not to be offensive. Also, I realize how important it is to have open communication with your students......

I talked to the teacher and I feel way better. Thanks for the advice and open communication is really the key

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Wow, all I can say is that if you got an A and that was "being generous" I don't know if I want to know what I received. Probably a C+.

5:03 PM

 
Blogger Alan said...

This evaluation is something that has always been on my mind. For one thing, how do you evaluate an assignment such as the cultural biography? Is there a right or wrong answer to the assignment? What criteria was set out for the assignment? Wasn't it just to share with the instructor part of your cultural background so that she could understand somewhat where each one of us was coming from? I think that each one of us put 100% into the assignment or at least 100% of what we wanted to expose of ourselves. This is why I am so happy that I am going to teach subjects that will be easy to mark because there are right and wrong answers. But wait just a minute. I remember taking courses where I understood the material to the point of actually teaching it to other students so that they would do well on exams. Meanwhile, I did miserably on exams because I get severe exam anxiety. Fortunately I have had some professors who realized that and used alternative assessment with me. The fact remains though that my transcripts are not all that impressive because of those poor performances on exams. Somehow, I got through all the hoops to get here and I try to forget the marks, knowing that I really do know the material. But I agree with Liane in that marks can be very detrimental to some students and we have to be very aware of how our assessing someone can affect them.

5:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home