Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Friday, August 11, 2006

integral mini lesson

I would like to comment on my performance today during the mini lesson. I have a tendency to try and take over and I noticed myself doing that to Anna and Mark who were doing an admiral job of teaching and directing. I am very enthusiastic about math and try to contain myself so that others can discover the joys of math themselves. I hope that I didn't step on toes. I know too that I did not fulfill my role completely in the opening remarks and Anna, thankfully, picked up on that and went with the flow so that it seemed seamless, Didn't it?? Anyway thanks for the save Anna. Timing was a concern but I think that any subject would be very hard to cover completely in 15 minutes especially if you try to incorporate discovery learning into the plan. This excercise did help me to see the value of planning and how to make adjustments as you go and for the future. I think having smart students helped quite a bit too.

This part of my comment comes on Saturday morning after I had a dream about the presentation. I went right through it in my dream and one part kept replaying on a loop. It was the part when I told Ashley that what she thought was an ellipse was in fact not one. I remember the very bad remark of mine that it was a good thing that we were going to take geometry soon. I am so sorry for that Ashley. Actually I should have commended you for the creative thinking that was going on in your head. It was especially creative if indeed we had not taken geometry yet. Those are the kind of comments that I really have to watch for so that I don't turn a student off from my teaching. Thankfully I know that Ashley will forgive me, she is that type of person.

2 Comments:

Blogger ABakker said...

Alan, of course I forgive you, I've never taken calculus before and I believed you entirely that it was not an ellipse. Your presentation was really great (also this goes out to Mark and Anna)Your opening was nice and your approach was creative. Have any of you experienced hands on learning in calculus before? Definatley good for the future.

2:26 PM

 
Blogger Leanna said...

Alan, I too am impressed with your thoughtful reflection (there is an amazing writer inside of you!). You mention a key point that I am glad you raised - timing and discovery learning. Many of you were sad that there was so little time (I was feeling the same way) and I think it gave us all a good idea of how good lessons can often lead into an unexpected discussion, or further inquiry projects, or just extra time for set up and experience. I believe that going over time is excellent - especially when it is the students who want the learning to continue - there is no greater compliment!
I can definately relate to reflecting on my comments to students during the class - was that a derogatory comment, did they take it the wrong way, could I have said it better...there will be lots of these moments in your entire teaching career because we are dealing with PEOPLE. Having and practicing good communication skills like you did on your blog reflection shows that you are in good form for handling any types of miscommunication in your classroom. Great lesson!

7:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home