Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Thursday, August 10, 2006

It's not ONLY like that!

I was soo disappointed with myself today after listening to the VP talk about doubting yourself and listening to your intuition! I started to listen to my doubt and that really makes me angry. I worked so hard to get where I am and yes I have doubt BUT there is nothing else I want to do with my career than to teach and I know that. So a piece of advice I wanted to share with you all incase you are doubting yourself too.....it's not ONLY like the what we have been hearing about. After maybe a year of teaching you will NOT have to work 12 hour days to be effective. You will be a great teacher IF you love teaching and it will come naturally. I know it! I want to share a quick story with you. My dad is an elementary school teacher (he has been a teacher for 30 something years, he is trying to retire but loves teaching too much) and I have met SO MANY people that love my dad. It's very hard for me to believe sometimes, he was my teacher too for 2 1/2 years. Yikes! But the moral of the story is, he still has neighbourhood kids knocking on the door to play with him, or students waiting in the morning to ride their bike with him to school, or parents thanking him for caring about their children, even parents of his students that were his students at one time coming into the school for advice! I never remember my dad not being there for my brother and I, sure maybe some nights we was tired BUT he had balance in his life and he learnt to leave his work at school (most nights). HE usually left for work at 8ish (we all did together to go to school) and he was home by 4 ish. So don't panic we are where we are for a reason and ENJOY it, it is FUN!

Anywho, I still haven't finished this dreadful paper for Sociology. Good luck to you who are in the same position. Cheers, Liane

1 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

Well put Liane. I loved the story of your dad and can only hope that I too can have that kind of impact on kids. The thing is we won't know until we try and so it is way too soon to even think of giving up. This is especially so after witnessing some of the amazing performances of the mini plans on Friday. No one can doubt that we are meant to be teachers and are destined to make a difference in some child's life.

9:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home