Here is a space we can use to continue discussions beyond the classroom. Ideas, thoughts, concerns, and a-ha's related to education are all desirable on this site!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Wow, Those Mini Lessons Were Great!

I would just like to start out by saying how impressed I was with the calibre of each group's mini lesson. I fully agree with all of the comments that have been posted, and I even came home on Friday and told my husband how many great new things I learned at school!

As a bit of a self-reflection on my mini teaching experience, I felt really excited and energized to share my love of history with the class. Although this is a good thing to an extent, I think that I may need to put things into perspective a tad when I'm teaching teenagers. I almost think that I felt I may feel "let down" if my students don't share the same passion for history that I do. EH...HEM, I'm pretty sure there won't be a ton of students that get really excited to learn about history when I step up to the plate to teach, but I sure hope that I can introduce a least a spark of interest in one aspect of the curriculum. (By the way, whether your interest was genuine or not, each one of you really made me feel like you were enjoying the activity.)

You guys and gals were so much fun to teach, and I can't wait to see what else we all have up our sleeves!!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I've just got to say that the interest was genuine. I didn't think at first that I would be interested in hearing more about the Nazis but the angle that you brought the material from really did interest me and made me think and reflect on just how much propaganda there still is. It's just too bad I had to use the washroom so that I missed a few minutes of class time. Thanks for letting a repentant student back in teacher, I mean Ms. Vanessa.

7:53 PM

 
Blogger Leanna said...

Vanessa - I like your comment about feeling 'let down'; that you have that much passion about history will be evident to your students. Remember that if the students don't seem as interested in history as you are then maybe making some more of the activities/content more relevant to their lives will be more engaging for them. We need to meet them where they are. Once they are engaged with any aspect of history you will find them more keen to follow your lead to other aspects of history.
I also want to commend you on your fantastic handling of the student who was offended by the photos - finding out if the student's concern is legitimate or not is difficult. You did well to keep the conversation contained to a small conversation between you and Alan so that the rest of the class wasn't disrupted. Well done!!

9:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home